Saturday, August 19, 2006

Confessions of a Closet Preacher

I have an apology to make. I realize that every time I post I feel like I have to turn a cute story or illustration into a life lesson for everyone out there. But I don't know WHY I do that! Maybe my passion would have been preaching if I had been born a boy! Imagine that! I would have followed in my grandfather's & dad's footsteps! "Steven Riley Bliss, Minister of the Gospel." That's what I was going to be named if I had been a boy (not the "Minister of the Gospel" part).

Anyway, I don't know why I can't just share a funny story about the kids and leave out the moral of the story. I'll try not to bore you with that so much in the future! My last story was actually an attempt to do that--just tell a story & nothing more--but then I thought it sounded like I was bragging about the kids (& my fabulous parenting skills), so I added more & the next thing I know it's just like all the other life lessons I felt the need to share. Well, we'll see how I do in the future.

Yesterday the boys & I visited Dan at his new school. It is the first time we've seen his classroom. Now here's a big surprise--it was the tidiest classroom you've EVER seen! It's definitely missing a few personal touches, though, so I think we're going to get him a plant or two & maybe some other fun things. (I'm not criticizing! HE said he thinks it's missing something) I don't know, the teacher across the hall from him has a snake--that would be hard to compete with! Ah, maybe Dan needs a rodent--hamster, gerbil or something.

What a fun afternoon! Several other teachers stopped in to meet the boys & me. We also went down the hall to the main office where we met a couple of secretaries & the assistant principal (& shared cookies with them). They were all very nice, & Dan was obviously really proud to introduce us. I am excited for him. He is going to love it at his school!

We of course went out & played on the neat playground for a while. One thing I have to say for dads--they are definitely more fun than moms! I could play with the boys & be crazy silly, but when Dan comes along, watch out! It's no competition! The boys just love to play with him! If it's a stereotype I don't know, but the generalization that children look to their dads for play & to their moms for nurturing definitely holds true in our family. ... I only resent that on occasion. :)

Have a nice (possibly rainy) Saturday.

No comments: