Wednesday, August 23, 2006

My First Day as a School Mom

I'm sure you're all just DYING to know how my first day without Nathan was!! So here's the rundown:

Nathan woke up at 6:15, even though I wasn't planning to get up until 7. Then of course he was ready by 7 & asking every two minutes how much longer it was until the bus came.

FINALLY 8:15 arrived & we all trekked out the door & down the street. We met a mom down the road with a 5th grade girl (who was kind enough to agree to keep an eye on Nathan for me), & that helped keep me distracted from getting emotional while we waited for the bus. (She also told me that if I told the bus driver where we lived, she would stop the bus for Nathan there--but then how will I get a chance to talk to our new friends every morning?!) When the bus arrived, Nathan rushed on so fast I barely had a chance to say goodbye & just managed to get a picture before he disappeared completely. I got a nice shot of his new backpack anyway! (I'll send that one to you, Mom)

I had asked Jeremy yesterday what he wanted to do while Nathan was in school, & he had no trouble coming up with a list of activities. Here is Jeremy's schedule (I'm happy to say that it was completed well before lunchtime!):
1. Painting...check
2. Going to the playground...check
3. Drinking apple juice...check
4. Washing his hands (huh?)...check
5. Drinking chocolate milk...check

Here is what Derek added to the list:
1. Chasing after Snickers (after he let her out of the basement)
2. Drinking dirty paint water (thank goodness for Crayola non-toxic water paints!)
3. Picking apples

And what I added to the list:
1. Watering the plants
2. Sidewalk chalk (then driving over them with the Power Wheels--Jeremy's idea!--we now have a really pretty speckled driveway--at least until the next rain)
3. Painting our yard sale signs (follow the bright orange signs on Saturday to our house if you want to find a great place for LOTS of furniture & kid stuff!)
4. Picking cherry tomatoes in our neighbor's garden
5. Picking up all the rotten apples in our yard
6. Turning Jeremy's handwashing into a L-O-N-G bath for two
7. A nice, well-rounded lunch of star-shaped sandwiches, peanut butter crackers, cherry tomatoes, apples, & chocolate milk

Stay tuned for the details of Dan's & Nathan's first day of school!! I am off to enjoy some quiet time in the shower (as in my first shower of the day--yuck!)

2 comments:

Malia said...

Hey Lisa! I didn't know you were blogging! Thanks for your comment over at my place. Yes, this school and bus thing has been quite an adjustment but we're getting through it. And I can't believe that is Nathan! The little baby I would hear crying in the cabin next to ours my first "staff" year at Manatawny! So sweet.

Just received a postcard from your folks with their new address. I'm sure they miss PA but Florida is a great place, too (my folks live in Tampa)! We really missed seeing them at camp this year.

So now I have another blog to read - yippee!

Bob Bliss said...

I wish I could remember your first day at school. I do remember your Mom's anxiety as we approached your first day. She had kept you home for kindergarten thinking she might home school you and that kindergarten was optional. I remember well her emotions when we discovered that kindergarten wasn't optional in Randolph. The principal thought you might need to be put back in kindergarten instead of first grade. However, you quickly proved the principal wrong. You were even added to the gifted group by third grade. Our anxieties are so often needless. I know that Nathan, Jeremy, and Derek will do well since they have two terrifice parents.

love you lots,

Dad