Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Grocery Shopping Nightmares

I was pushing a cart of three rambunctious little ones earlier today, worn out before we even made it into the store. Wal-Mart is just too big! If you need more than just groceries, it takes you three times as long just to get to the other side of the store and get the shampoo you need, then trek back through the store to finish your grocery shopping. Whoops, forgot Dan needs new brown socks for school. Back to the middle of the store for socks. Back to the groceries. (And, by the way, I am in NO WAY complaining about Wal-Mart! A mother who frequently has to take her kids on errands with her but usually only has to go to one place for it all knows that Wal-Mart is truly a blessing!) I know that I have rarely witnessed behavior from my children while shopping that would cause deep embarrassment or would necessitate actually leaving the store. But most times that I do attempt to take all three by myself, I am frustrated and completely exhausted by the time we've made it halfway through--just from the effort of keeping them all in the cart and all reasonably quiet ("reasonably quiet" means not being heard from the shampoo aisle when we're in the sock aisle--that's all I'm asking!).

We were on our way to see the lobsters (usually saved for the end of the shopping trip) when an older gentleman who we had passed several times along the way stopped and this time commented that he was very impressed with how much love he could see us all having for each other and how well disciplined the children obviously were. I promise I'm not telling this story to brag. I am telling this story to encourage any other mothers who feel the same way I do when taking their children in public. It is worth it! It may be so tiring to keep on top of your children. You may feel like giving it a rest a few minutes & letting the kids get away with throwing their brother out of the cart or pulling another box of Scooby Doo Mac n Cheese off the shelf. I was at my wit's end with the kids, thinking they were among the top ten worst-behaved kids in the universe, when this gentleman (who had also kindly complimented the kids on their looks earlier in the day) took the time to let me know he thought the kids were WELL-behaved. I felt like arguing with him or asking if he was crazy! Fortunately, the spirit within me intervened and told me to hush. I took the compliment graciously & it lifted me up. It also made me realize that all the work that goes into parenting--all the frustrations and trials--no one sees that! They just see the end result--(hopefully) really well-behaved children who are polite and friendly to others (even strangers that you'd prefer them not talk to--that's a story for another day!). Don't worry that people all over the store are staring at you because you're talking sternly to your children every few seconds. They may notice that . . . and really appreciate that. We have to stay consistent, we have to demand their respect and attentive ear.

And when your kids are the ripe old age of 15, they'll still be listening.

These are just a few things I've learned and am still learning from my few years of experience, my very smart husband, and my own loving parents. :) Gotta give credit where credit is due!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Great post! I can TOTALLY relate :) I was at Wal-mart today with 3 children, too. Too bad that we didn't see each other for support :) I was completely exhausted after our shopping experience!! By the time I got to the car, I was sweating! I hear yah about how big Wal-mart is...we were at the front of the store and I forgot to get napkins so we had to go to the back of the store to get them - ugh! The kids were out of control at Wal-mart today - OH MY! I don't know how many times I had to tell them to stop running especially with so many people shopping there today. We bought some school supplies to put in the School Bus that was parked outside of Wal-mart collecting school supplies. When the kids were sweetly delivering the school supplies, the ladies on the bus thought they were the most precious things ever - ha! Little did they know how my kids were behaving inside of Wal-mart!

laura said...

Loved your thoughts on mommyhood and our little ones. So encouraging, and do, so enjoy Wal-Mart for me... from the South America, go to the market everyday to buy what you need for the day land, I so miss the every 2 week, totally fill up your shopping cart trips!