Saturday, December 16, 2006


I think we should change our clock-system. I mean, when you're up until 1 in the morning, it's not really morning yet. You're still thinking "night." So why not say "night-time" with a different system? Instead of 12 being the change-over hour from PM to AM & vice-versa, let's start with changing our current 6 AM to 1 AM. I mean, no one normal is up before 6 anyway, so that works. 6 AM will become 1 AM, 7 AM will be 2 AM, 8 AM will be 3 AM, & so on. Likewise, 12 PM will now be 7 AM. I don't think that's too confusing. You're not confused, are you? We can handle eating lunch at 7 AM. The only problem I foresee is that we're very used to the terms "12 noon" & "12 midnight." We could still use "noon" & "midnight," but we'd have to drop the "12." And that's okay too. We'll get used to the new system eventually. By my grandchildren's time, saying "12 noon" or "12 midnight" will date you like saying "records" or "LPs" dates you today. They'll look at us like we just fell out of the sky when we say "12 noon."

"No, Grossmater" (that's German for Grandmother, you know), "12 noon no longer exists," my grandkids will say, "the new system is much better. 7 AM is noon. Duh." (rolling eyes) "You're weird ... weirder than Grosspater" (that's Dan).

Don't they know that I'm the one who created this new system? Sheesh.

So why am I still up after 1 AM?? Let me enumerate the reasons:
1--Well, I had lots to do to get ready for a baby shower I am hosting tomorrow morning. Presents to wrap, stroller to assemble, cake to bake & decorate, petite cheesecakes to make, etc. Mixed in with all that was family time: dinner, picture-taking (for my not-yet-sent-out-I-know-they're-late! Christmas letters), bath, game. It was a pretty nice night.
2--I am obsessed with blogging. I add an average of one new blog to my favorites list every week. I don't like to miss anything, so I am checking ALL the blogs on my favorites list 2 or 3 times a day. If no one has added a new post, that might take me 15 minutes or less. But when you have 100 blogs to read (no, not really, more like 87) what are the chances that there will not be a new post to read? And, of course, comment on.
3--After spending an hour on the computer, my shoulders & upper back start to cramp up. So I get up, realize there's a mess in the kitchen, feel bad that I've been spending time on the computer rather than cleaning (it's my job, you know), so I get to work. I wash the dishes first.
4--I wipe down the counters.
5--I wipe down the stove. Oh, there's a mess under this burner. I'd better clean that up. The coffeepot has been accumulating dust because it's been a while since I've used it (with shoulder pain waking me up at 4 or 5 each morning, why would I need coffee?). I'd better wipe it off.
6--Wow, look at all the dirt on the kitchen/dining table. Yuck. Wipe that down.
7--Would you believe it's been a week or so since I cleaned under Derek's booster seat? Cleaning under his booster requires turning the chair on its side to get the crumbs out onto the floor, which means ...
8--I need to sweep ... the entire kitchen/dining area.
9--While doing all these chores, I think of a post I'd like to write, so here I am, back at the computer.

Is it any wonder I'm still up at 8PM?? (Trust me, you'll get the hang of my new time system)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, you need to check out Bloglines, or another blog tracker type of site. (www.bloglines.com). I currently use Bloglines though I may switch...anyhoo...with these type of sites you can "subscribe" to all your favorite blogs and the site lets you know when a blog has been updated! I just click on my little Bloglines icon at the botton of my screen (it's right next to the time stamp) a couple, okay several, times a day and a web page pops up with the list of all my fav blogs. The ones that have been updated are shown in bold and have a parenthetical number next to them showing how many new posts are up. It's made my blogging time go much quicker!

And you go right ahead with that little time adjustment thing of yours. The rest of us normal people with stick with the current system.

Paula Harrington said...

Hang in there! You sound like me. I finally decided that with five children anytime we have a picture made we look like an angry mob, so we're passing on the pics this year. Takes a little stress out of the holidays!

:)

Lisa said...

Thanks, Malia, for one more thing to register for with a new account name & new password. Good thing I have all my account names & passwords written down right here on this handy-dandy pad next to my computer where anyone can find them.

Actually, if this works out, I'm very excited. I am currently working on it, so hopefully it will make my life easier.

Thank you, Paula, for adding another blog to my favorites list. Yay!

Loni said...

Lis - I really like the idea of a new time system. The majority of the U.S. gets up around 5 or 6, so shouldn't that be the beginning of the day? I think everyone would just jump at the opportunity to get on the band wagon. Who cares if everything has to change. Not to mention having to change how we teach things at school, thus confusing the students even more! You might want to check with Arizon first though. You do know that they don't even change their time for Daylight Savings, right?!? They may like your idea though. Who knows you crazy sis!

You really must have been up late to have written a blog like this one. I am not up as late commenting on yours. I was up late last night, but not with pain like yours. Sorry about that. Do you have a heating pad to use?

Can't wait to see you in a little over a week. I have to finish shopping for your Christmas gift. I have everyone else's done! How about you go out & buy what you like & I will pay you back later?!? Love ya & see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Actually Lisa, after setting up the Bloglines account, I've never had to log-in again. I have the little icon in my toolbar and I just click on it and it takes me directly to my Bloglines page with all my blogs on it.

(I have a Word file with a table that I keep track of all my username and passwords list! I even have a shortcut to it on my desktop 'cause that's how often I forget those sorts of insipid details!)