Thursday, December 21, 2006

Jibber Jabber and Musings from yours truly

Ijkldfa kjkj fdakjl fda djfalsdkf, sdf jk ijafe adofij fajidf daflk ffdla.
(Translation: Derek has two ear infections so he didn't sleep much last night)

Jklfadi nilsdafoi kdfa i.
(Translation: And neither did I ... sleep much last night)

Oh, okay, that's better; I got five-year-old Nathan to do the typing so now I'm making sense again (of course, all you other sleep-deprived Mommys & Daddys understood me perfectly, now didn't you?! ... and the aliens that are hovering above my house also understood me).

Lots of thoughts runnin' through the ol' noggin today so bear with me ...

Question: How do you get a stubborn two-year-old to take his medicine?
Answer:
Materials needed: 2 adults, duct tape (or rope), jaws of life, drop cloth
Instructions: First, spread out the drop cloth. Whatever extra plastic you have around the house will also be useful for draping on the walls & furniture (really anything you don't want spewed with bubble gum-flavored medicine). One adult needs to clamp down on the child's arms while the other uses duct tape or rope to secure said child to the floor or chair or whatever is handy that is stationery. A vice might also work, if you have one. After child is secured, fire up the jaws of life ...

Okay, just kidding. Seriously, though, getting a stubborn two-year-old to take his medicine DOES require two adults!! What have you discovered works? I didn't have so much trouble with either of my other two.

I've always claimed I don't have much of an accent, & I've been told that before too ("Hey, you don't talk like you're from Joisey!")

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland
 

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The West
 
The Inland North
 
Philadelphia
 
The South
 
Boston
 
North Central
 
The Northeast
 
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz


What this means is ... my Mom did a good job of making sure I spoke words correctly (that's the English major in her). I find it very interesting that the Northeast accent is the lowest on my results (that's where I spent the first 18 years of my life).

Hey, I should be on the radio!! They could tell I have a good voice without even hearing it ... amazing! Just because I know how to pronounce words correctly does not necessarily mean I have a good voice.

Malia, thank you so much for that pumpkin bread recipe. I made it earlier in November, & I've been making it the past few days to give to people--it's been a big hit! Dan's not a fan of pumpkin stuff, but the kids & I went through a whole loaf in one day! You know what makes a great gift this time of year? Mini loaves of bread. Wrap it up in saran wrap, tie a ribbon around it, & voila! you've got a nice gift.

Have you had the holiday Oreos with red filling? Oh my goodness, I am telling you, even though it's supposed to have the same great taste, I honestly think they are better!! They are so yummy! I went through a whole bag myself the other day. No, just kidding. But it was close.

Quote of the Day
"Happiness: an agreeable sensation arising from contemplating the misery of another." -Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

I think maybe there's something wrong with that assessment. I don't know, maybe it's just me ... or maybe not. What do you think about that quote?

4 comments:

Pat said...

When Dad and I were fairly newly married, we were asked (as couples without children frequently are) to babysit for a family's three children. I think the parents had a job interview and for some reason weren't taking the children. We didn't know them well, but someone at Sunset had suggested that it might be a good arrangement for them. So we agreed. Two girls and a boy, the boy being the youngest.

As the parents were instructing us about routines and stuff, they told us that the boy (the youngest) had to get some medicine every day. It was VERY important. If he didn't get his medicine, we might as well just head straight for the hospital. (At least, that's the urgency I remember - they might have said, "You may end up in emergency," but it came across as "He MUST get this medicine.") So, on Sunday morning we proceded to dose the kid - and he was having none of it. I don't remember particulars, but your description of two adults, rope, drop cloth, etc. sounds hauntingly familiar.

We never did know if we got enough into him for it to be worth the trouble, but we didn't end up in the emergency room. And I don't remember ever having to go to those extremes with any of you.

(You did all have a terrible time with pills! Thankfully you were all pretty healthy - or so we thought at the time. We learned later that you had had numerous ear infections of which we were unaware - high pain threshold apparently.)

I hope Derek is better soon! (If you don't remember having double ear infections while we were vacationing in the Poconos, remind me to tell you next week when you're here.)

Love, Mom

Lisa said...

Steve, I know that the Leichners do remember you ... in fact your name just came up over Thanksgiving while I was in NJ. They remember you fondly. "Fuzzy," huh? I tried going to your page, but it wouldn't. Do you still have a blog?

laura said...

Lisa,
all i've got to say is at least the medicine is sweetened... imagine living here and having to give a very mobile 15 month old children's pain reliever that tastes AWFUL! it's craziness. we ration the children's ibuprofen we brought from the states :) you gotta prove to this mommy that you're really hurting :) and...i so agree with you about the bread as a gift! i found a new strawberry bread recipe that you make with frozen sweetened strawberries (although i have to boil fresh ones here with a little sugar and it seems to work just as well). nathan loves it, and it's working pretty good for breakfast. do your boys eat a good breakfast? i cannot get this kiddo to eat breakfast... guess he's like his mommy. i digress. love to hear your new stories!

Anonymous said...

for the recipe, you're welcome :-)

for the medicine, as scary as it sounds, I've found that letting them take it themselves (with supervision of course!) works wonders. they feel they are in control of the situation