Friday, December 01, 2006

One Girl's Weird is Another Girl's Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

(At what age will I cease being a girl & start thinking of myself as a woman?)

Okay, Malia tagged me, so I'll give it a whirl.

But I had to get help from Dan. Who would know my weirdest quirks better than the man I've lived with the past 7 years (almost)?? You may not believe this, but I had a hard time coming up with weird things about myself. I'm just not all that weird. Who knew?

Six Weird Things About Me you may or may not already know:

1. I do not like people to play with my ears. Please don't touch them, stick wet fingers in them, don't even look at them. I've had ear problems for a long time, & I've had enough of all the poking around in my ears. Please just leave them alone.

Thank you.

2. I'm too defensive of other people. When someone says something bad about someone else--even if it's true--I jump to their defense. You could say, "Wow, I can't believe that jerk just cut me off." And I'll say, "Well, he might be having a bad day." It doesn't matter that I don't know these people, I have to defend them.

3. I get caught up in books I'm reading so that I tend to neglect other duties in order to read them. If I am in the middle of a book, don't be surprised to note that the laundry is still unfolded from 2 weeks ago, the kitchen counters are collecting dishes, crayon marks are all over the living room, water is dripping from the bathroom into the basement, the dog has peed on the carpet, & the kids are running around outside naked. Is that food under the table from last week?

Oh wait, that's not weird, it's just plain lazy.

4. HP might mean Hewlett Packard to you, but it means Harry Potter to me. I am very obsessed with Harry Potter. Last summer, when the 6th book was coming out in stores, the family & I joined ranks with a few other strange HP fans & hung out at our local Barnes & Noble to enjoy festivities such as wand-decorating, HP trivia quizzes, lightning bolt tattoos (temporary, don't worry), & story time. Ahem, the festivities began at 10PM. Don't worry, the kids didn't mind missing sleep. I am pretty angry that the movies are not coming out in a timely fashion (I mean, come on! Dan Radcliffe, the actor-who-plays-HP-all-of-you-can-call-him-Daniel-but-we're-tight-so-I-can-call-him-Dan, is going to be 32 when HP's supposed to be 17!!). I am very upset about how the 6th book turned out (I'm not telling!!). I have cried while reading more than one of the books. I was disappointed by some of the things left out of the 4th movie. I don't think Dan (my Dan) should be reading his students the 5th book in class...he should have started with the first. I still cannot figure out whether or not to trust Severus Snape. I want to be in the Order of the Pheonix.
Oh, by the way, have all you muggles checked out www.mugglenet.com??

5. Some of you might not think this is weird, but most will: I did not take any pain medication for any of my babies' deliveries & 2 of them were born at home.

6. I'm bossy (this was Dan's idea). I tend to tell others what to do. I give helpful suggestions & make people feel like they have to use them. Then, when I bossily organize an activity & it doesn't go right, I get upset. Or in the middle of it, I feel bad that I'm bossing everyone around.

Okay, never mind, I don't like that one. Scratch that. (cool, it worked!)

6. I don't like other people's feet touching mine.

You know what? I don't like that one either. Let's try again...

6. I am so obsessed with blogging, I could spend hours each day just working on one of my posts. I start writing, then go back & fix something here, add a little there, do a little research on this or that, check so-&-so's blog about something I read yesterday, try to find a picture to add (which takes a long time, & really that's why I spend so much time on a post), think of something funny to put in the title... You need proof? I started this post yesterday & spent about 30 minutes trying to think of what to write. I got back on tonight around 11:30 & have been working on it straight until now, 1:30AM. And you know what, by the time I'm done with a post, I've read it so much I'm sick of it!! How's that for blog-obsessed, AKA weird?!

All right, I know I'm not all that weird after all. But you're not surprised, are you? You already knew that. I'm one of the most normal people any of you know.

And to spread the love, I'm tagging these people that I don't know much weirdness about:
Dad (who'd better tag Mom), Dee (who'd better tag another ChiO), Terri (who'd better tag Dawn or Mark), Tanya (who I hope will tag Cindy, even though Cindy probably won't do it, so she should probably tag Bevin too), Maria (who can tag anyone she wants to tag!!), & Matt (who won't do it & instead just think I'm really weird--then again, his post from yesterday might have been his "weird" post--ha!!).

Feel free to consider yourself tagged if I didn't officially tag you, & post your own Weirdness for everyone to see. I'm also hoping that those of you I tagged will tag others that I would have liked to have tagged (which is why I offered helpful suggestions for who to tag). If you each tag two other people I know, & those people tag two other people I know, & so on, we will eventually cover all the people I know. What? What's so weird about that??

15 comments:

Our Family said...

Well, Lisa, I can't think of a single weird thing about myself. Ha, just kidding. I'll have to do this post a little later. Friday, Molly and little Zoe will be visiting and I'm participating in a Progressive Dinner on Saturday. Busy days ahead. Don't worry though, I won't forget.~Dee

Lisa said...

Ooh, give Molly & Zoe a big hug for me. Have fun!! I can't wait to read your post when you get around to it. :)

Malia said...

I'm e-mailing you the code of how to do a "strikethrough" i.e. crossing out text. I've tried to put the instructions here but Blogger keeps thinking I'm trying to write code!

Lisa said...

Malia, you're my hero. You can do everything!!

Bob Bliss said...

Lisa,
You developed #1 on your own (of course it's understandable). You got #2 from me. I always defend people as well. You got #2-5 from your Mom. #3 you got partially from my Mom. Your Mom however, manages to read more in a week than I can read in a year and still can get the laundry done. Your Mom had pain medication only in delivering you. #6, #1 (the first strike through) is a woman-thing. Of course we men call it "bossy" because we really don't understand the communication process of you women. #6, #2 (the second strike through)you developed on your own. Your actual #6 (the one that made the cut) is apparently a contagious disease that is caused by the Internet bug. Look for my weird things shortly (I need at least 2 months of prayer and research in order to come up with weird things about me).

Terri said...

I knew some of those things, but I didn't know abt the obsessive on HP! Wow! You learn something knew everyday! Hey I'll try to do it a little later...I'll need that much time to find some answers for myself....ha! If I send it to Mark, we'll be here all day reading it!!!!

Lisa said...

Gee, Dad, thanks for the analysis. ;) I didn't know I got the defensive stance from you, though. Are you really going to pray specifically about your Weird list??

Terri, take your time. It'll give me something to look forward to.

It's funny what you can think of when you really think about it. I didn't even know where to start, but once I thought of something, the rest just kept coming. I'm still thinking of more I could have put on the list. It all comes back to either laziness or OCD. Go figure.

Pat said...

I'm waiting to see if Dad tags me, but I don't think there's anything weird about me - hehe!! And I'll comment on your's more in a bit when I don't have something I REALLY, REALLY need to get to now. But just a brief comment - why doesn't the "i before e except . . ." rule apply to the word weird? All the way through your blog, I kept thinking, oops, misspelled. Then I wrote it on a piece of paper and confused myself. Checked a spellchecker and, yup! You're right. So why doesn't the rule apply?

Okay, okay, that's the first weird thing about me -- always proofreading what I read. Annoying to myself, even!

Pat said...

Oh, and did you hear about the person who had obsessive-compulsive disorder, but insisted that it was CDO, not OCD; alphabetical order as it should be, after all?!

Lisa said...

Mom, The word "weird" is one that always bugs me because it stands out at me when it's spelled wrong. I don't know why the i before e rule doesn't apply here, because it doesn't rhyme with "neighbor" or "weigh." I forgot that my proofreading could have been on my Weird List too. I wasn't even an english major, but I guess that's rubbed off on me from you. Mistakes stand out at me when I'm reading other people's work. Somehow, though, I miss my own often.

Dawn's Thoughts said...

I knew I loved you. #3 baby all the way! As for my weird things about myself, well there just isn't enough time to name them all. (and then Uncle Steve would add more) Our Mark? Does he blog too? Mr. Bliss you are a riot. Lisa get writing that book, it will be a best seller. Love ya.

Terri said...

ok, now that i have some peace and quiet I can think of some of MY odd quirks.
Well, Sitting here thinking of what's wrong with me, I'm not sure I should devulve any of this information, shall it be held against me. Hmmmm. Well, I like to bake, but I just don't pick the greatest times to do it. Such an example of this would be this evening I made a pumpkin spice cake @ 9:30pm. But Brian needed a snack before going to bed, so he can have that now.
I just asked Brian for an idea and he said I don't have any toenails on my little toe. Well, I pulled my sock off...."There is too a toenail there!!!!!" Who's toes is he lookin' at???
I know I do this and I really need to work on this...two things....I am moody and I get jealous of what other people have too easily. I keep praying that the Lord will help me to be thankful for what I have.
I have now thought of another thing....as many times as the kids make a mess somewhere I am constantly behind them putting things away "in their (i before e rule used here) PROPER places" You're not the only one with OCD! I just like to be able to find things when I go to look for them again.
Well, I think I've given out too much info already....how's that?

Lisa said...

Pretty good, Ter, thanks for sharing. My mom has really tiny nails on her smallest toes--which Nathan got from her, I think--& which she might not appreciate me sharing. OH, Mom, I just thought of another weird thing you do! But I guess I won't share it with the public. You know, the "thing" you do with your smallest toe. And someone else (Loni, maybe?) does it too. You guys are really weird. Anyway, Terri, did you really make a pumpkin spice cake last night? Not for something in particular?? Okay, that's weird. :) Your last two things are not so weird--lots of us struggle with the same things. We're all in this boat together!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tag.. keep reading and you may find some weird things about me! HA HA!

God bless
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

Our Family said...

So I finally did it!