Friday, December 22, 2006

Only Three Days Til Christmas

well ... depending on how you count. Since we're near the end of today, there are really only 2 days & a few hours until the moment we are all awakened by Derek (who is always the first one awake when Dan's alarm clock doesn't have to go off). But on Christmas morning, we will all be too excited to be annoyed by the early hour. Honestly, I look back & don't know why it seemed like my parents weren't as excited as we were to be up so early on Christmas morning. I mean, I think I'll be glad when Derek wakes me up. When I peak one eye open, then the other, when I wipe the sleepies out of my eyes, when I stretch my arms, then my legs, when I give my brain a moment to follow the rest of my body to wakefulness ... I will think, "Today's Christmas!" and I will shake my sweet, slumbering husband awake (he's only sweet when he's asleep), I will hop out of bed, I will run to the other boys' room, I will throw open the door, I will shout, "Santa's been here!" and we will all laughingly run to the living room where Santa has left a zillion presents for all of us. I like receiving as much as I like giving ... when it comes to Christmas. Throughout most of the year, I can definitely agree that it makes my heart happier to give. On Christmas Day, however, I look forward to seeing what other people have deemed an appropriate & enjoyable gift for me.

I'm just trying to kill some time until 10 o'clock. I have to make another Wal-Mart run. I got something for Nathan that needs to be returned, & I have one more present to get for Derek & one more for my nephew Tyler. Wait til you hear what I got Dan for Christmas!! You have to wait a few more days in case Dan happens to read this (he doesn't usually, but has before, so I don't want to take a chance!)

But I've been thinking ... and we all know how dangerous that is. There has been a lot of hype about people trying to take Christ out of Christmas, about whether or not the church should officially celebrate the holiday (you know, like it "celebrates" Memorial Day & Labor Day & the 4th of July & President's Day--I jest), etc. I'm kinda getting tired of it. I know it's important to know where you stand on certain issues. I know a lot of things are important. But have we stopped to think that all the hype is mainly created by the media to ... make a bunch of hype?? The majority of average Americans (like you & me, I think) just want to have a good time, celebrate Christ's birth & life & death & resurrection EVERY day (I hope), & take advantage of having the day off by spending time with their family. Some people (not just the media) like to make a big deal about (what should be) small issues, & the rest of us get riled up about it. But should we??

Just something for you to think about. You can suffer along with me in our deep & dangerous thoughts. :) I don't care if you disagree & want to argue with me. Part of me is playing devil's advocate here. Go ahead, bring it on! :)

One more last thought. Wouldn't it be more convenient for us all if Christmas was officially celebrated on a certain day each year, rather than a certain date? You know, like Thanksgiving is the 3rd Thursday of November or whatever. Just a thought.

Have a great Christmas!! God bless you & your loved ones.

2 comments:

laura said...

lisa,
i couldn't agree with you more. i know all the arguments against celebrating Christmas, but you know, let's look at our cup half full instead of half empty. there is a time every that is set aside for us to celebrate the birth of our Lord and spend time with family and friends. it involves being able to give to others and make memories that will bless our families for years to come. those that argue that it is a time too focused on material things, credit cards maxed out, etc. all i can say is, it's like everything else, you can't live others lives' for them, what they choose to do is up to them, how you choose to let it affect you is what's up to you... anyway. just my personal opinion. i hope you guys have a great holiday and that your wal-mart run went well. God bless you my friend!

Lisa said...

Thanks, Laura!! It's always good to have someone in your corner. :)

Jimmy, if Dad told me he went to school with you, I forgot. Isn't that wild that you went to school with both father & daughter?? The Steve Awtrey story is long, so if you read this again, email me at llleichner@yahoo.com, & I'll tell you all about it!! Or you could check out his comment on my Jibber Jabber post.