Saturday, November 04, 2006

Cornbread Muffins

Here is the perfect partner for your cold-weather chili (or Taco Soup, if you're Dee!):

Cornbread Muffins

1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. fine yellow cornmeal
1/3 c. sugar, heaping if you like it sweet
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 egg
1 1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter the bottoms only of 12 muffin cups. Mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk egg, milk, and vegetable oil. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Pour in liquid mixture & stir just until smooth. Spoon the batter into muffin cups. Bake the muffins on the center oven rack until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes.

A "cheesy" option is to add a bit of cheddar to the top of each muffin; I think it would work adding it before cooking, but I usually top them off with cheese just after taking them out of the oven.

I got this recipe from Family Fun, it was originally for making a mix to give as gifts. You just measure the dry ingredients & put them in a bag or jar. Attach instructions for making the muffins; your gift recipient only needs to add the liquid ingredients.

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

laura said...

i soooooo love cornbread... something about it that makes fall and winter complete... which would explain why i was sooooo excited when i finally found cornmeal here in Cbba! I bought a ton :) hope they keep it stocked once fall and winter start here.

philaphonic said...

hey now! you have no idea...unfortunately I was a bum in highschool and the volleyball skills developed in college, so no one in our family knows of them. You would be surprised I think.
good hearing from you though...when do I get to see you guys again? soon I hope. (graduation I hope atleast if not sooner)

Anonymous said...

Lisa I am sure that Dan loved them. Gramma Dreher (Sandie's mom) used to make them all the time.
P.S. I have told everyone at school (work) about this blog thing they are so excited they are asking their children that live far away to do it. :)