Monday, November 06, 2006

Our God Reigns!

Jehovah-rapha!
The God who heals
Jehovah-jireh!
The God who provides
El-Shaddai!
All Sufficient One

A friend of mine sent me these names for God today, & they really encouraged me. Enough to want to share them with you.

I went forward yesterday at church. Though we had a guest speaker who was GREAT, the reason I went forward had more to do with these burdens I carry that have gotten too heavy. I share with a small group of friends what's going on in my life, but I guess yesterday was the point of breaking. I just posted a few days ago about how great I am at giving my burdens over to God. How arrogant of me! I was so wrong! There is at least one big burden that, though I pray about it often, still weighs heavy on my heart and tears me down regularly. I thought I was giving it over to God, but since I let myself still worry over it, I don't. I have been trying to manipulate someone into doing something, when it really has to be this person's decision. Even if I were able to convince them of the change they need to make, it means nothing if I've coaxed it out of them, rather than letting them discover the need to change themselves.

Praise God for being El-Shaddai--I am nowhere near being all-sufficient, but He is all I need.
Praise God for being Jehovah-rapha--We all need healing!
Praise God for being Jehovah-jireh--My God provides for all my needs. In this case, it was a church family that enveloped me after services & again last night & reminded me that I am loved & cared for by earthly beings as well as by Jehovah God.

And it's knowing you, my friends, are there for me as well. I love you!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty awesome post Lisa! Definitely something I need to be reminding myself of daily.

Lisa said...

I think, Bevin, that God uses us to remind each other, as He's used you PLENTY to remind me of some very important things. Love you, girl!

laura said...

you are in my constant thoughts and prayers... my sister and friend! God bless you!

Pat said...

Praying for you, sweetheart, and, as always, proud of you. Looking SO forward to seeing you Friday!

Our Family said...

I'm praying for you! Love you so much.

Bob Bliss said...

If you don't mind a short lesson from your Dad, here goes.

Actually Jehovah is God's name (Ex.3:14). El-Shaddai, Adonai, Elohim are more descriptions (at least in my opinion)of Him than an actual name. Jehovah-jireh (Gen.22:14)and Jehovah-rapha (rophe)(Ex.15:26) are names of places where God demonstrated His great power. The people of God often associated God's name with the place and thus created a name for the place with God's name. They did this to be a reminder of God's power, grace, and presence. Perhaps it's something we should do more often ourselves. If we would name some place where we received an answer to prayer (or just received what we needed even if we didn't ask for it) it would be a powerful reminder of God's presence and power and grace in our lives.

I will pray that your burdens are lifted as you remember our powerful and gracious God.

Jennifer said...

His yoke is easy and his burden is light -- thanks for the reminder and I will keep you in my prayers.

Marie said...

praying for you, my friend.

Malia said...

I've been thinking about this post a lot today. Thank you for sharing with us. A lot is weighing on my heart right now. Not about me, but about others. It's still burdensome though.

I like what your dad had to say about naming places.

Anonymous said...

It IS good to be reminded of God's names!

Good to find your blog!

Every blessing
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk