Wednesday, November 01, 2006

For the curious...

The bug that I posted about has been identified as either a house centipede or a silverfish by you, my devoted readers. Dan doesn't think it's very easy to tell from the picture what it is. You can't see the size of it, or really what its back looks like. I have looked up silverfish before, & I can tell you with about 90% certainty that it is not a silverfish. (Again, it is hard to tell from the picture, but thank you all who tried to help me figure out what kind of bug it is) I am apt to agree with Kim Hill who said it's call a house centipede. Aunt Dawn, who "googled" it agrees that it's a centipede. It is very centipede...ish. If I had our Audobon Society books here at home, I'd look it up again under centipedes, but alas, they are in Dan's classroom (the books, not the centipedes).

Interestingly enough, this post has generated quite a few comments, even comments that were sent to me by email rather than posted on the blog, & even a comment from "James", a man that I'm not sure I know. It's good to know that you're just as interested in the bugs that reside in our home as you are the children. I'll be sure & post a few pictures of the fruit flies, fleas, spiders...just kidding. Have you ever noticed how many bugs you get in your house when you're moving in? It's amazing--probably more so in the summer than during the winter (it is cold in the winter, after all). But they're gone now. We miss them terribly.

If you're just checking in for the first time in a few days, make sure to scroll down as I've posted several times in just a short while. I don't want you to miss a single post!

And, now I leave you, my dear friends. I have spent so much time on the computer today that the house is suffering (& Derek is flashing the neighborhood). I will be back, but when? I cannot say.

Good day to you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When Uncle Steve and I were in our first house I went outside and screamed. There were gypsy moth catapillars everywhere. I had no idea what they were. It was absolutely gross. I would take the dog out and have an umbrella in the sunshine. Plop plop is all I would hear as they would drop from the trees. I am getting goose bumps thinking about it. Anyway bugs are meant to live outdoors, especially crickets which I totally get creeped out by. Thank goodness for RAID. Much love to all.