Friday, November 10, 2006

Happy Birthday, Derek Braden!


In honor of Derek’s second birthday today, I wrote a loving (mostly) tribute to honor the child that is my youngest son. Incidentally, he is the third son of a third son of a third son of a third son (no joke!). Very special, indeed!

Derek . . .
*Until you were born, we thought Jeremy was stubborn
*Until you started jibber-jabbering, we thought Nathan was going to be our chatterbox
*Until you, we had no idea just how loud a child could scream
*Until you, I wouldn’t have figured on a child falling out of his chair so many times simply because he refuses to sit still for even a second
*Until you came along, I thought 7 a.m. was pretty early to have to wake up (why, oh why, must you consistently wake up at 6:15?)
*Until you, I didn’t know the meaning of the word “bossy”
*Until you, I didn’t know a rough-&-tumble little boy could turn around & give babies gentle little pats on the head or sweet little hugs
*Until you, I never knew how cute the color “leh-lo” could be
*Until you, I didn’t know just how precious it would be to witness my two oldest sons protect their younger brother & then in the next second wrestle him to the ground
*Until you, I couldn’t have guessed how cute it would be to have Nathan & Jeremy be renamed to “Nay-nay” and “Meh-mee”, although I’m glad you’re getting the hang of their given names, even imitating me when I “sternly” call them “Da-faniel” (Nathaniel) & “Deremiah” (Jeremiah)
*Until you were born, I wasn’t sure how three children would fit in that small room in our tiny little house
*Until you were born on that lovely Wednesday afternoon two years ago, I wasn’t sure if I could fit my three little children in my lap, or surround them with my arms
*Until the very second you were born, I wasn’t sure my heart could grow to fit the love I’d need for my three precious little boys

How easy that was, & needless my worries! Your impish little smile, your obvious leadership qualities (even at such a young age!), your friendliness–all of these things plus so much more make it pure JOY to love you, to treasure you, my dear sweet child. I love you, Derek Braden, & have from the first moment I laid eyes on you. I still remember how wonderful it was to be able to be in my own room, waiting so impatiently & painfully for you to arrive, then the moment you came I forgot all about the pain I was in & hugged you so close & cried & cried & cried (it’s a good thing you’re too young to be embarrassed by your ol’ Ma). I had a feeling that the slowness with which you were brought into this world might be a sign for things to come. While you have taught me patience in many ways, all of them are ways I’ve needed to learn.

DB, I will treasure you always.

Perhaps those of you that know Derek might like to share a special memory or thought of him as well. Thank you!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww.. that's a lovely tribute to him.

I found your blog from other peoples blogs and comments, i think!

I keep linking from place to place!
God bless
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

laura said...

How beautiful the thoughts of a mommy... and the truth in them brings a smile to my face. i have faced so many back and forths the past few weeks on when we start trying again... and i watch you and think... okay... more than one IS possible :) Thank you for loving your kids so preciously and so boundlessly! Happy Birthday Derek!

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet!! He is a pretty amazing little boy but I know that is because he has a pretty amazing mommy! I cant believe he is 2 already. Hope you guys have a great day!!

Marie said...

I loved your thought. It is a specil thing, being a mommy. And no one but God could place you in such a blessed position. Your boys are lucky to have a wonderful mom, who loves them in every way! Happy Birthday Derek!

Malia said...

Happy Birthday sweet boy!

That was a very beautiful, sweet, touching post, Lisa.

Anonymous said...

Well little man you're a great big TWO! How special it is to have a great family that loves YOU! Lisa your message was sweet, be sure that you copy it and put in his baby book. Wishing all of you a great day. Love ya's.

Tanya said...

I adore that Derek. He is one cutie! I love his smile. He makes me happy :) It makes me happy when he sits with us or infront of us at church.

Happy Birthday to a sweet sweet boy!!

Bob Bliss said...

Happy Birthday Derek! I'm sorry I can't be there, but my boss wants me to work weekends.One of these days I will be there for your birthday (and Nathan's and Jeremy's and Dan's and Lisa's).

Lisa, hope you enjoy your Mom and Loni this weekend. It's too bad their stay is so short.

philaphonic said...

I wish I could see my nephews more. one day I will visit often I promise. I hope I can one day love my children as much as you love yours Lis. Give Derek a birthday kiss for me.