Thursday, November 16, 2006

How Much Is Your Life Worth?

I am hooked on this BlogThings site--well, I'm hooked on all things BLOG--but my latest entertainment has been to take one of these tests & then maybe put it on my blog. I enjoyed taking the intelligence test (not to see how much intelligence I have but to see what "type" of intelligence I have). The results are in my last post, near the bottom. [FYI, the other 2 people who took it told me their results were the same; but I know that not everyone gets the same answer because the first time I saw it on someone else's blog, the results were different]

I also took the "What Does Your SAT Score Mean?" test, & the results were quite exciting: my SAT score of 1370 was higher than that of Howard Stern, George W. Bush (I should run for president!!), Al Gore (then again, maybe not), but lower than Bill Gates, Natalie Portman & David Duchovny (who knew that alien chasers were so smart?!). My SAT score also means my IQ level is in the 130-140 range (according to this site, mind you), and that the ACT equivalent was 31 (though I can't remember what it actually was when I took it TEN whole years ago, that sounds about right).
I haven't yet but look forward to taking the Redneck & Driving tests, which I told you about in my last post. Don't hold your breath, I'll get to it.

I did a double-take when I came to "How Much Is Your Life Worth?" I thought, yeah, let's see! So here are the results:
Your Life Is Worth...

$805,500

Whew! Sounds like a lot, but that $1,000,000 life insurance policy might be a good deal after all!

The truth is, there are many ways to calculate what your life is worth, but I initially would not have thought about it in monetary terms, despite my history with math. Maybe that's because of my history with God's Word. One way to look at it (in my opinion) is that the sacrifice of the Lamb of God is what gives my life its worth. That cost is far more than I could ever repay. Thank you, God, that I don't have to! The grace that God extends to me daily covers over whatever worthlessness I created in myself. One of my Dad's favorite quotes is:

The fundamental problem with most of us is not deficient self-esteem but inadequate divine-esteem. (Daniel Block)

Every time I read that, I think "Right on! I know that's true of me!!" When I try to calculate what I am worth, I come up empty. I have issues with self-esteem. And actually, according to Daniel Block & I am apt to agree, my focus on self-esteem IS the problem. I am looking to myself & what I can contribute to society, to my household, to the church; instead I need to look & see what God can do through me to contribute to society, to my household, to the church. When I compare myself to others, I am immediately overwhelmed with all the things about myself I'd change so I could be more like so-&-so or less like another so-&-so. Well, you know what? God can work though me and in spite of me to accomplish the good He will accomplish. When my focus is less on myself and what I want to change the focus is instead on God and what He would change. A favorite quote of mine is from The Purpose-Driven Life:

Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it is thinking of yourself less. (Rick Warren)

Again, when thoughts of myself are not at the forefront of my mind, then thoughts of God and His work take over. I'm not thinking less of myself in those instances, I'm thinking instead of my God and Savior and I don't worry about my body or my shortcomings as a human being.

Here's what I'm going to try to do to work on my divine-esteem and maybe this will help you too. Or maybe you have a good handle on this and can give the rest of us some suggestions.

*I am going to try to journal about my day, & home (hone?) in on the times or situations of each day that I am most likely to be distracted with thoughts of myself which almost always end up negative (i.e., I know when I go into the bathroom, I am going to look in the mirror, and then I will proceed to pick out the things about my body I wish could change. That's not a good time of the day for me)
*When I figure out what situations in my daily life I am likely to focus on self (i.e., being in the bathroom), I can devise a plan to stay away from those situations (while not going to the bathroom ever again sounds like a good plan to me, it's not that realistic so instead I am going to try to coach myself before I go in there not to look in the mirror, maybe I won't even turn on the light so it won't be so easy to spot my flaws)
*What else can I do since draping something over the mirror won't help when I need to put my makeup on in the morning? (i.e., Pray before going into the bathrooom; carry a verse with me to read & dissect & think about)

So I chose a somewhat simplified situation to get you thinking. I hope this will at least generate a discussion that can help us to encourage each other. I don't know how much guys are affected by the sort of things girls are, but I know that I have several friends who've complained of the "blahs" lately, and--believe me--I've been there a lot too! Whatever ways we can find to focus on God instead of on self are going to be helpful in the fight against the "blahs" (when did the "blues" change to the "blahs" by the way??). So please share your ideas!!

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (Ephesians 2:10)

And anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. (Matthew 10:38,39)

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment . . . Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. (1 Peter 3:3,4)

And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. (Hebrews 10:10)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I clicked on your link at Maria Tooth's blog. And I discover that we're neighbors. Cool! I live in a nearby town. :)

Bob Bliss said...

I like the quote from Rick Warren. I'm not a big fan of his work but I like that quote. The passages you quoted are excellent as well. It would be nice if I thought of nothing but the Lord Jesus and how he has brought so much good to my life.

laura said...

I think you are on a great track as far as thinking of some practical things that you can do to move closer to the God that we serve. So often we leave our growth in the theoretical or hypothetical... and we don't move forward. and so i am applauding you my sister for being proactive. i keep an index card on my bathroom mirror of prayer requests. that way when i am in the bathroom getting ready i go down my list of prayer requests and my mind stays focused on other things. or i put things on index cards that i want to learn... i'm working on the OT book names in spanish right now, some of them are doosies. not that it always cures all... but it helps. and when my mind strays back to the whole self image realm, i remind myself that my God made every fiber of my being, knit me together in my mother's womb, and made me beautiful in the standards of heaven, which is so much more important than the world we live in, and that i have a precious son and husband who think i am the most beautiful woman in the world. for now... that's enough for me! :)

Jennifer said...

I really like that definition of humility. Jonathan and I usually think of humility as seeing ourselves accurately; I think we got this from Brennan Manning. So it is thinking of ourselves less, but also seeing ourselves accurately in all of our strengths and weaknesses. Interesting about the bathroom mirror and all the suggestions there. We have had dry erase markers in our bathroom the whole time we've been married and I use them to write myself notes of things I want to remember during the day. Like a theme God is teaching me in my present life or just a reminder that the Lord loves me. It is how we start our day and this is actually a good reminder for me that I need to go write something on there! I haven't in awhile. Thanks Lisa, for generating discussion.

Anonymous said...

I needed some info and was searching on Yahoo for it. I visited each of the top ten pages that came up but didn’t get any relevant result... I then luckily found your diamond message board in the dirt and thought to check it out. This is what I was after

Cheers dudes at 3xleichner.blogspot.com and keep this brilliant effort up.

[color=#336699][URL=http://www.iron-science.co.uk/]bodybuilding supplements[/URL] [URL=http://www.iron-science.co.uk/]bodybuilding[/URL] [URL=http://www.iron-science.co.uk/]Sports Nutrition[/URL] [URL=http://www.iron-science.co.uk/]Sports Supplements[/URL] [/color]

Anonymous said...

I've ever liked things like sand clocks, lava lamps, and the like to type of fair-minded dish out space staring at it as a formality of catharsis. In a opportunity, it helps me with meditation, to reduce emphasis and just think in the air nothing. That's why since I was a kid, in place of of dolls and cars I've perpetually cool more of such pieces like sand clocks, lava lamps, tuneful boxes etc. So I was most pleased when I base the[url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-1260-2-Laser++LED+Light+Show+Laser+Top+Gyroscope+with+Music+Effects.html] 2-Laser + LED Light Appear Laser Top Gyroscope with Music Effects[/url] from DealtoWorld.com protection the Toys section. It's like a tuneful belt, a spinning top, and a moonlight divulge all rolled into one. Which is spectacular relaxation! The gyroscope transfer outing for about a minute. The laser light manifest with accompanying music makes this gyroscope a rather incomparable toy that my friends be suffering with also been most amused with.

My dogs are also nice-looking outr?about the laser gyroscope I got from DealtoWorld.com. They unceasingly attend the gyroscope as it spins, although at first place they kept barking at the laser light accompany, and also because it produces music. But after they got employed it, they've stopped barking but due maintain following the gyroscope whenever I start spinning it. Kids are also bonny amused alongside it. Sometimes it's moral to take entertaining toys on all sides the ancestry so that you can pull out the bit of frippery trifle with on while the kids are being amused or playing with it while you count fit out food or fall heir to changed. The gyroscope is a particular such fool with with this purpose.

The gyroscope I bought from DealtoWorld.com has a dragon as a design on it, and produces a gegenschein accompany with red, dispirited, and common colours. Pit oneself against a look at the pictures I've uploaded of the gyroscope with laser light show. The music produced from the gyroscope is not that enormous but good sufficiency to accommodate any new customer to the house. The gyroscope is red and jet-black, making it look particular coolth, and to some virile with that dragon imprint.

The music flare show gyroscope runs on 6 LR44 batteries, which are replaceable anyway. I've also euphemistic pre-owned this gyroscope to surprise my girlfriend during our anniversary celebration. I did the cheesy terror of decorating the hostelry room with roses and when I led her in, I started up the gyroscope as rise so that the laser torchlight show produces a romantic effect. I also had some battery operated candles so all the moonlight effects created a slightly dreamt-up atmosphere. She loved it, at near the style, to my relief. I also bought the candles from DealtoWorld.com. These days it seems to be my default shopping put suitable all gifts and ideas in compensation romantic occasions.

Since Christmas is coming, this laser lamp show gyroscope can possibly be a talented Christmas contribution in behalf of the toddler or neutral the favoured! Alternatively, the gyroscope can altogether be a gracious reckoning to the ordinary Christmas decorations. I can fancy placing it adjoining the Christmas tree and perhaps spinning it when guests hit town in the house. Looks like [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url] is getting my duty still again!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://orderamoxicillin.webs.com/]many mg amoxicillin should take
[/url] amoxicillin 500 mg liquid
amoxicillin 250 mg overdose
amoxicillin 500 mg often take

Anonymous said...

|
|
|