Monday, January 01, 2007

Dear 2006,

It's been real, it's been fun ... AND it's been real fun.

Thank you, 2006, for all the great times you gave us. You took my family to Gatlinburg with the Leichner clan, where we had fun in the cabin, on the race track, at the golf course (mini-golf, that is), and with the Dukes of Hazzard gang.

You put us in a new house. You found Dan a new job. It was a big year for others that we're close to moving and getting new jobs too.

You introduced us to some new neighbors that seem to be able to tolerate us pretty well.

You took good friends of ours to Montana, where they can be closer to family and impact another campus ministry at the same time; and you helped our church family find a young, enthusiastic minister to replace the old one. We are looking forward to a good start with him in 2007.

You helped me find old friends and new in this cool medium we call blogging.

You drove us to NC and FL to visit our family members' new houses.

You sent my oldest baby on a big yellow bus for his first year of school. And you brought a few friends to come stay with us during the day this fall so we wouldn't miss Nathan as much.

You kept us company as Dan spent longer hours than ever at work.

You hung around as Dan & I filled our sixth year of marriage with fun times and good friends.

You stayed with Dan as he began his first year of teaching and helped him gain some confidence and control over his classroom.

You took four of us to New Jersey for a big Thanksgiving celebration with Leichner-Dreher family members we haven't seen in much too long.

You sent us on our "merry" way to Florida for a special Christmas celebration with the Blisses/Mohundros.

You took us to Disney World (oh, yeah).

You said "goodbye" last night with such grace we hardly realized you had passed (perhaps that was because we were already asleep).

You gave us many more memories than I could possibly list.

Today, I have been married to my husband for seven whole years. Who knows how much longer we have together. But as I was letting him beat me at our new air hockey game tonight, I decided that I WILL enjoy every minute of it. I will treasure the years we have, the days, the months. Every minute of it. I will make 2007 better than 2006. And 2008 better than 2007. And I will hold my babies close until they are young men who need a little distance. Then I will hold them close in my heart. And I will praise You throughout it all. Because 2006 didn't really give me anything, but it was You, Father, who gave us everything. And I will praise You forever and ever. You alone are worthy of our praise. Thank You, Lord.

6 comments:

Tanya said...

What a great post, Lisa! Glad you made it home safely. Happy Anniversary to you and Dan. See you tomorrow night! Love you!

Pat said...

Loved your post, sweetie. You are so loving and GRACE-ful and express yourself with such wonderful God-given ability. Happy anniversary and happy new year. May God continue to bless all of you as you continue to grow in grace and love. Love to the clan. We miss you!(Mom)

Matt said...

How personal and affirming of all God has seen you through. God bless

Malia said...

Cool, a Jan. 1st anniversary. My grandparents' (Dad's side) anniversary was on Jan. 1st. So neat!

Happy Anniversary!

Our Family said...

Hope you guys had a wonderful anniversary. Happy New Year! May God bless you in amazing ways this year.
Love you!

TitanThirteen said...

Wow you've had a busy year!
I agree with the above comments, and it's awesome that you recognise your blessings :o)