Thursday, January 18, 2007

Happy Birthday, MOM!!

Today was going to be my first Thursday Thirteen. Not that I plan to do it every Thursday, but I had one all ready to go ... until it occurred to me the other day that today would be my Mom's birthday.

So I decided to try a Thursday Thirteen dedicated to Mom. So ... if I can do it ... here are Thirteen Things I Love About My Mom. (hang in there til next week and I'll give you another Thirteen List)

Thirteen Things I Love About My Mom:
1. She's pretty. I can remember thinking that as a young girl, & I think that even more so today. I hope I told her that when I was younger, because I know how special it makes me feel to hear it from my own kids. But if I didn't tell you then, Mom, I'm telling you now ... I think you're pretty!!
2. She's a great wife. She showed me a great example of following the lead of her husband, even when disagreeing; treating her husband like he's a king; loving him steadily & faithfully for almost 28 years, through good times and difficult times.
***UPDATE: Though I KNOW Mom & Dad were married in '76, when calculating I was using my birth year of '79 for some reason. Since my miscalculation makes it sound like I was born around the time of their wedding, I'd better correct that. They've been married almost 31 years. (Sorry, Mom; thanks for being a good sport)
3. She's a great mom. Despite living on a preacher's income in an expensive place to live (NJ), it was a priority for her to make it on that income so she could stay home with her children until they were all in school. She believed that was best for us, so we managed. And I believe the three of us are better for having her devoted teaching and training at such a young age.
4. She sings well. One thing I am really ashamed to admit ... when I was in middle school, I thought my friends' moms were cooler than my own. So like my 2 best friends' moms who sang alto, I decided to try alto so I'd be different than my own mom. I'm sure it had a little to do with competition (my mom could sing loud, & I knew I couldn't be heard over her if I sang the same part). But it was also part preteen-rebellion. Today, I would Love, Love, Love to be able to sing as well as my mom.
5. She is very crafty. She was always very creative when helping with our school projects (until she realized she was helping more than she should be; and, boy, did we miss her help!). She always had cool activities for her Bible classes and crafty projects for us kids to do. I also remember one snow day we had, we put some snow in the freezer & later added chocolate to it & had chocolate ice cream ... sorta. That doesn't really have anything to do with being crafty, but just something cool she did when we were home one day from school.
6. She paints really well. She started taking painting classes when I think I was still in high school. I love the stuff she paints nowadays. If you are the lucky recipient of one of her projects, you know it took some time to do it.
7. I love her handwriting. Surely she realized that I tried to copy her handwriting, because mine started to look just like hers, though not nearly as pretty and cool.
8. She passed on her love of chocolate. Some might think it's weird that I would list that as a thing I love about Mom. Here's the deal: I remember, when we lived in Randolph one time especially, one of us kids (I actually don't think it was me, though it could have been, but one of my sibs will probably remember) saying to Mom, "Hey, you smell like chocolate!" She had been sneaking chocolate, & we were onto her! Only later would we realize that she hid it so we wouldn't be able to pig out on her secret stash, but so she could have a (much-deserved) special treat on her own. The funniest part about that, is that lately I've realized I do the same thing. I have some hiding places around the house so Dan & I can have the chocolate, but not hear all day long, "Mommy, can I have some more candy?" Once my kids smell or hear about candy, there's no stopping the whining!! I imagine it was the same for my mom. The other day I almost got caught & was worried one of my kids would smell my breath. I can hear it now: "Hey, you smell like chocolate!"
9. She's not ashamed of her gray hair ... so neither am I! Yes, I have some gray hair (and I will KILL my sister for noticing & making a big deal about it!! and I could hit myself for telling my father-in-law!) but this post is not about me ... She has never colored her hair or hid the gray; her hair is so beautiful that it makes me hope mine looks good when I'm her age too. Thanks to Mom ... I'm not ashamed.
10. She knows good grammar & she ain't afraid to use it. I like the fact that I knowed proper ways of tawking & writin', thanks to the fact that my mom cared enough to not let me slack on my speech or writing habits. I may have a time or two thought she was a bit too stringent, but I appreciate it now for dern tootin'! (She also hated the word "darn") And, by the way, speaking of good writing ... Mom has a blog that you should check out if you haven't already. She isn't as obsessive about writing as often as I am, but when she writes it's either about her grandkids, or it's meaningful stuff that you will feel blessed to share in.
11. Mom is very organized. This may drive Dad nuts at times. It drove me nuts at times. Now? I Wish, Wish, Wish that I had picked up more of her organization skills for running a household.
12. Mom was able to accomplish a most difficult task: revealing to me her weaknesses and struggles while at the same time showing me a great example of how a Christian should lean on God to overcome those struggles. One example is in the way she would always pray when she slipped on something. She showed me with her words, that it's important to pray often about things that burden you, that you know you do wrong. She showed me the importance of accountability and confession.
13. Another difficult task accomplished: living with me through my teen years. Despite those difficult years, my Mom shows me no less love than she would if I had been a perfect daughter. I jipped her of having a good relationship with me when I was in high school & most of college, but (if I didn't know better) I'd think everything was always honky-dory, because she doesn't seem to hold it against me. I KNOW I don't deserve that!

That was a lot easier than I thought it would be!! I could go on & on, actually, but I said it was going to be thirteen things. I hope that didn't embarrass you too much, Mom. I may have revealed a weakness or two of yours, but I promise only half a dozen people actually read this anyway. I love you, Mom, and Happy Birthday! Yay! You're going to Disney- ... I mean, Epcot!

(A rare photo of my Mom -- which means I need to get on the ball & start taking more! -- with Dad at Disney World. Ignore the goofy-looking Dad; I think it was late & he was tired. Ha! Just teasin', Dad)

(By the way, this is Post # 99!! Get ready for the big 1-0-0! Woohoo!)

8 comments:

Tanya said...

What a sweet post! Happy Birthday to your Mom. Hope she has a great day!!

Paula Harrington said...

How sweet. Thanks for sharing.

Bevin said...

Happy Birthday to Pat!! That is a very sweet tribute to your mom Lisa!

laura said...

that was a great thirteen! although i hold you personally hold you responsible for making me miss my mom even more than usualy today... and her birthday's coming up... i may have to "borrow" the post idea! Happy Birthday Miss Pat! Thank you for sharing your Lisa with all of us.

Anonymous said...

That's soooooooooooooooooooo lovely!
Every blessing.
In Jesus,
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

Malia said...

Man, I should have done a "Tuesday Ten" for my dad, or something like that instead of committing to come up with 60 things about him this year! ::smacks forehead:: Duh!

Loved your list!

philaphonic said...

its funny how must more you appreciate your parents once you are older and out of the house...

Pat said...

I truly hope you don't think I was ungrateful enough not to comment on your lovely and loving blog yesterday. I actually spent about 20 minutes composing a response but Blogger was having issues and my words disappeared into cyberspace or space. (Hey, aliens, send them back please! I liked the way they sounded the first time.)

So, to try again . . .

Thank you, dear DD#1, for the lovely birthday gift that this blog is. I'm sure I blushed when I read it, or would have if these things were said publically in a group!

1. Thanks for saying I'm pretty (you, too, Malia). I don't remember you saying it; if you did, I may have thoughtlessly discounted it because I don't believe it. But I appreciate your saying it now!
2. Ahem. If I've loved your Dad steadily and faithfully for almost 28 years, what did I do for the other 3? Are you thinking, perhaps, of your age? I can produce the marriage certificate that shows we were married before you came along. Really! 1976! I know you're a math major and all, but 2007 minus 1976 is? I just had to tease you, in spite of the lovely things that #2 says.
3. Thanks for being grateful that we/you did with less, living in an expensive community, so that I could be home. All I ever really wanted was to be a wife and mom. You three (plus three, so far) are my very great reward!

I'd comment on each of the others but a.) I don't want to bore your friends, b.) this is your blog and post, c.) my comments would only detract from this lovely gift to me. (I do have to mention, #4, that you have a lovely voice! I sang alto, BTW, until I finally made chorus at LCU and was assigned second soprano.)

Thanks for making my career as a mother and grandmother so wonderful and for this very special gift! Thanks, too, for the phone call and to all your friends who added good wishes to yours! You are blessed with many talents AND friends!