Monday, January 08, 2007

My Sentiments Exactly

The crossword has been an integral part of our marriage. We can’t remember when exactly we started doing crosswords together, though we do remember doing them when we lived in Searcy (AR), so it’s been at least since the beginning of our marriage. However, at some point the crossword began to come between us and we haven’t done one together in a year and thirteen days ... give or take.

We still occasionally get each other crossword books for Christmas. They make a great stocking stuffer. Especially the one I found this year; a book called “Sit & Solve Crosswords,” which is in the shape of a toilet. You can guess where the author imagined you’d be sitting as you solved these puzzles. The introduction of this little book caught my attention:

Solving crosswords is, at heart, a private activity. Sometimes two people will solve a crossword together, but there is always negotiation involved: How to hold the clues so both solvers can read them. Who gets to hold the pencil. That sort of thing. It’s like sharing a sandwich without cutting it in half first–it can be done, but the people doing it had better like each other a lot.

So, given the essential solitary nature of crosswords, it only makes sense to combine solving them with ... another private activity. That’s where this book comes in. Why spend your time staring at a tile floor when you could be staring at a crossword grid? (Francis Heaney)

My sentiments exactly. I’m a multitasker in every way.

I truly thought the challenges Dan & I encountered while doing crossword puzzles were unique. I don’t know of anyone else who solves puzzles with another person. So I’ve never discussed with someone else the problems that can arise when you attempt to do it. (Have you ever tried it?) I was amazed when I read this introduction because it was like she’d been in our home watching us try to do puzzles together! Unless we were doing a puzzle when Dan was in the bath (I know, something you didn’t really want to know) in which case I’d obviously be holding the book & doing the writing and Dan wouldn’t even care if he couldn’t see the clues, there was always competition about whose turn it was to write the answers and therefore who’d get to hold the book.

Another challenge we’d encounter were the “rules.” Dan likes to do a crossword straight through the Across clues, then the Down clues; then, and only then, you can jump around from Across to Down and back. I, however, like to do an Across clue, then do the Down clues that will use the letters I just filled in. OR, if I’m stuck on an Across clue, I’d like to look at the Down clues to see if that will help me solve the Across clue I’m stuck on. Dan acts as if I’m cheating to use Down clues to help with the Across. I maintain, however, that a crossword can be done however the solver wants to do it; the only form of cheating is looking in the back of the book for the answers.

But that just goes back to Francis Heaney’s introduction. Doing crosswords truly is a private affair, best left to an individual. It doesn’t necessarily have to be relegated to the bathroom, but maybe trying to do it with a partner is expecting too much.

After all, you wouldn’t want a silly little crossword puzzle to come between you and a loved one.

(By the way, if you left a comment on my last post, be sure & check out the comments section again because I actually remembered to respond to each of you. God bless!)

9 comments:

philaphonic said...

why do you guys not do them anymore?
we do them at work. sometimes three or more people doing them, but it gets complex and sometimes one person is better than others or looks ahead so they get the easy one done even before you get to them.
I sometimes when drastically stuck will pull out this crossword dictionary. You look up greek gods or something to help out. People say I am cheating but I would rather finish the darn thing using a book then sit there with it blank.
I think maybe I should just look for a girl who can do crosswords with me...forget all the rest...

Lisa said...

I thought it was obvious ... because we fought over how to do the puzzles ... and then we didn't speak to each other for days. It's hard to raise kids together if you won't talk.

I didn't know there was a crossword dictionary. Where can I get one? I agree ... it bothers me to have blank spaces left when I'm done. If I could look up some help and it didn't upset my conscience, I would do it too.

Having a partner is a better way to finish a crossword, though ... if you can do it without arguing. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks. That spoke to me.
Every blessing
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

Loni said...

You guys just seem to have to compete at everything don't you!?! I used to have a "Sit & Solve Sudoku" book. I don't know if I ever "sat" like they expected you too. Mostly I liked it because it was small and fit in my purse. If I was bored I took it out & worked on it. I found Trey a "Sip & Solve Sudoku" book for Christmas. Can you guess what shape it was in?!

Lisa said...

Um, a mug?

Lisa said...

Gee, Jimmy ... I didn't remember you being such a stickler for the rules!! :p

Paula Harrington said...

Is there a Sudoku for Dummies book? Let me know cause I need one really bad :)

Pat said...

Yup! All the across, then all the down. Sharing? That might be hard. I was slightly disappointed when Trey (long ago) picked up my Sudoku variations book and did a couple. My initial reaction was that I had wanted to do those and felt "cheated" (too strong a word but you get the meaning). I got over it! So I don't think I'd know how to do a crossword with someone else. And you two are very competitive? How's the air hockey going?

Anonymous said...

Now that I've finally caught up on all your posts, I felt the need to comment on this one. I am obsessed with crossword puzzles, so I can fully appreciate your comments. I've learned so many overwhelmingly useful things from doing them, including several handy French words and Latin phrases (suum cuique, indeed), important gods and goddesses (such as Ptah, the Egyptian god of creation, whose name is just plain fun to say), and random units of money around the world (if I ever make it to Thailand, I'll be as frugal with my bahts as I am with my dollars). I'm glad that we have the love of crosswords (and doing them without help) in common. That is all.