Thursday, January 18, 2007

Post # 100

I'm going to take this monumental moment to reflect on my purposes for blogging, and I'd love it if you want to share some of your thoughts & purposes as well. These are questions I've been very curious to hear others answer as well, so please speak up!

1. What was your initial reason for blogging?
My friend Tanya encouraged me often to start a blog because she thought I had funny stories to share about my kids, like the funny stories she shared about her own kids. My first post, in October 2005, which only received one comment--thanks, Dad--and has since been deleted (so don't go looking for it), was a recipe for Chocolate-Peanut Butter bars that I had just made and found to be really good. That obviously had nothing to do with my kids, and it was several months later (July 2006) that I finally posted a second time. At that point, it was my goal to tell funny kid-anecdotes and document some of their milestones. Still, my first few posts had more to do with the process of moving into our first home. But I finally got around to the kids, though not as many funny Jeremy stories as I thought I'd have (some day I'll remember to share with you the original Jeremy story that Tanya thinks is hilarious--it is, actually).
2. How has that purpose changed over time?
When I realized how exciting it was to have comments left on my blog, I tended to write more posts that would apply to others and draw comments (I know, I can be really self-centered--I'm working on it!). When I discovered devotional thoughts on other people's blogs, I thought, "I should do more of that," so occasionally I have a spiritual-application for you to enjoy (I'm also not very original). :o) Mainly, my blog has a lot to do with entertaining others. I've always known how much I enjoy being the center of attention, but I didn't realize my penchant for entertaining until recently. It doesn't help that many of you tell me you enjoy my stories & think I'm a good writer -- my ego enjoys that, but the part of me that knows I should exhibit a modicum of humility wishes the compliments would end!
3. Why do you read other people's blogs?
As with most people, I initially read only the blogs of people I knew. I already knew about Laura Bull's missionary-experience-blog, and when I began reading her blog regularly I discovered comments left by other old college friends that blogged. When my dad started posting regularly again in Florida, I discovered the blogs of other preachers and, through them, the blogs of other Christians that wrote posts centered on Scripture and devotional thoughts. I also found Malia, an old friend from several years ago at camp, through Tanya, who wasn't even a part of my life at the time I knew Malia, but is related to Malia through her husband (it IS a small world, after all). It wasn't long before I started exploring and reading about the lives of people I did not know. Through all these people, I have made several new blogging friends, most of whom I have never met in person, but whom I definitely look forward to meeting someday (if not here on earth, at the great "reunion" in heaven). This all has led to an extensive list of blogs I try to read regularly, and eventually to the point where I decided (just in the last day or so) that I need to not go looking for more blogs to read, but try & keep it limited to the blogs I already have bookmarked.
4. What type of blogs do you read, mostly?
I may start reading another blog because of an insightful comment the author left on another blog I read. Sometimes I stay with it, other times I find that we disagree on a few important-to-me things, so I don't keep up with it. A part of me wants to befriend people through blogging that are really different from me (& I do that to some extent), but another part does not like to do that. Here's why: say you have a real-life friend that you disagree with on a certain matter. You may be close enough to them that you can talk about your disagreements. It will probably not come between you (depending on the matter, I suppose), and you can talk about it reasonably with each other and agree to disagree. Maybe you can even influence each other for the better on matters about which you disagree. With blogging-friends, it's a little different. I'm not about to go to someone else's site, especially someone I don't know, and leave a comment on a post that I disagree about. I don't believe I have a right to do that. It's not the same as face-to-face evangelism or talking to your brother in love. It's public and not at all what Jesus had in mind when He was quoted in Matthew. But, it's also really difficult to continue reading strongly opinionated thoughts that contradict your beliefs when you can't say anything about it to try & teach the truth. Does that all make sense?
5. What other benefits have you gained from blogging?
*One thing, that amazes me a little, is I've learned a little about computer code for formatting websites & such. I don't remember much from my one basic computer science class in college, so I've had to learn quite a bit, which means knowing Malia has come in quite handy!
*I am also amazed by the hugeness of it all: people in Nashville, & the UK and Australia and Bolivia & other places so distant from me put their thoughts on their computer in their hometowns, and I, on the other side of the world, sit here at my computer in my hometown and read their thoughts. Amazingly, incredibly, we find each other & are impacted for the good by each other.
*I have learned a lot by reading other people's studies into the Scripture and their applications for life.
*We Mommies can share ideas about child-rearing; and, likewise, we can ask questions, post them on our blog, and have suggestions posted within minutes.

Of the Blogs I regularly read ...
7 are by family members (both Bliss-side & Leichner-side)
6 are by friends that currently live nearby or have recently moved away
11 are by old college friends or camp friends
1 is by someone I got to meet face-to-face after meeting in the blog world (Hi Emily!)
15 are by people I consider friends but have yet to meet face-to-face
8 are blogs I "stalk" (i.e., I don't leave comments & I think they are unaware I read them)

And several of you tell me that you read my blog occasionally, even though you don't regularly comment or have blogs of your own ... though I might talk you into it someday. :) I am so grateful when you tell me you read my blog and what it means to you. Thank you for that.

11 comments:

Wade Tannehill said...

Lisa,

First let me say that I enjoy your stories and you're a really good writer (oops).

I started blogging because I'm an egomaniac and I love being the center of attention. NOT REALLY.

Seriously, I started blogging after attending the Tulsa Workshop and realizing how much I missed some folks I only see once a year. It's a great way to stay in touch. I also needed an outlet to be more of a nonconformist than I could be at church--to say some thigns that needed to be said. I love the interaction with kindred spirits.

At first I only read fellow preachers but now I read a lot of normal people too. Normal people are interesting. I'm keeping up with so many blogs now it can be overwhelming. So now the only new ones I read are people who read mine. You gotta have some kind of limits.

I want that peanut butter and chocolate recipe.

lisacarol said...

Lisa,

I love hearing your sweet voice through your words and thoughts.
Now that we are so far from each other, I'm thankful to have a way to catch up with your life. You're a wonderful writer! And wife, and mother, and friend...
Love you,
Lisa

Paula Harrington said...

I really like this post Lisa, not that I don't like all your posts :)

It made me think about the reason I started blogging and why I enjoy it so much.

Keep in up! I always enjoy stopping by your site :)

Malia said...

Hmmm...you said,
"A part of me wants to befriend people through blogging that are really different from me (& I do that to some extent), but another part does not like to do that. Here's why: say you have a real-life friend that you disagree with on a certain matter. You may be close enough to them that you can talk about your disagreements. It will probably not come between you (depending on the matter, I suppose), and you can talk about it reasonably with each other and agree to disagree. Maybe you can even influence each other for the better on matters about which you disagree. With blogging-friends, it's a little different. I'm not about to go to someone else's site, especially someone I don't know, and leave a comment on a post that I disagree about. I don't believe I have a right to do that."

IMO, you DO have the right to do that. That's the nature of the blogging beast. If a blogger is going to put ideas out there in a public way, then that blogger must be ready for someone to come along and not agree with them. I think that if a blogger is not willing to engage in civil conversation with someone who posts a comment that disagrees with something they wrote about, then they have no business keeping a public blog.

Also, I've found that establishing a repoire with the blogger first, i.e. delurking yourself, commenting on posts that you don't find yourself in complete oppposition too, etc., before taking the step of actually commenting to the contrary, makes for a better conversation.

And one other thing, (then I'll stop lecturing!) because of our Nashville is Talking community that we have here, I've met and befriended and read bloggers who are completely different from me. Many of them hold beliefs that are vastly different from mine. Many of them say things on their blogs that I don't like and I don't argree with. BUT they have taught me SO much about the world around me that I never even thought about before. I'm still me, I still hold true to my beliefs. They've helped me be able to examine why I believe the things I believe and hold fast to them. I realized early on with these bloggers that commenting on their blogs in opposition to their beliefs wasn't going to win any hearts, but loving them for who they are and being a friend to them just might.

philaphonic said...

I started blogging on xanga b/c I was burnt out from studying during finals my junior year...now I have three blogs, and find it nice to be able to get your thoughts out there, and also to get others takes on your thoughts. I know read mostly family blogs with the exception of one teacher, who I read for political information and some humor...
always enjoyable to read sis...and no you are not evil...
3

Anonymous said...

well...a blog post about blogging...that's like waving drugs in front of an addict....good thoughts, and much agreement.

i don't try to look for new ones, but always end up surfing and finding new and interesting people.

plus this blog is yet another I can give to my wife to explain why I spend so much time on blogs.

thanks, occasional reader, but maybe my first comment. Woo-hoo!

Anonymous said...

by the way

100 is Blue's favorite number.

though you all should know that

Lisa said...

Oh yeah, I did know that 100 was Blue's favorite number. We have that episode on DVD, you know. :) Thanks for occasionally reading, Brian. I will expect more comments from you in the future now. When will you get your wife into blogging?

Wade, really, preachers are pretty normal. You don't need to be so hard on yourself. Thanks for boosting my ego, though. I used to wear a pretty small hat, but now I can wear hubby's hat with pride.

Lisa, it is an honor to be your friend and to read your thoughts as well. To have you in my life is to feel God's presence. I love you too.

Paula, you also honor me by stopping by. Thank you for all the thought & energy you put into your blog, & into reaching the lost. You are a great example to me!

Trey-B, thanks for the reassurance that I'm not evil (for everyone else, it's an inside joke, so don't worry). I also enjoy reading your thoughts, though I usually hesitate to leave you comments that will come across as annoying-advice-from-your-older-sister. But I hope you'll keep posting frequently; it gives those of us who love you insight into what makes you, well, YOU.

I had a feeling someone would point out what Malia did, & I even thought it'd be Malia. :) I thought my parenthesis, "(& I do that to some extent)" was for your benefit. :p I do like your point. And that is why I do occasionally "delurk" & let the author know I'm reading & sometimes try to leave encouraging messages for him/her ... so that in the event I might want to say something politely that disagrees with them, I may be listened to out of respect. I am aware of Nashville is Talking, your blogging community, and think it's great you've become so involved with many of them, Malia. From comments I've read, they obviously respect you and trust you and like you. Some blogs I come across that I tend to avoid are of the "I'm having an abortion & proud of it" or "I'm going to use the worst bad words I can think of as every other word" variety. I personally try to save the energy it takes for impacting others for my real-life encounters, but I do respect that you have a different situation in Nashville with NiT, & you're entitled to do things your way. :) With love & respect, L.

Matt said...

I think it is fascinating to see what different people are thinking about. I also think it is interesting seeing what interesting people find interesting (ie the bolgs they link on the sidebar). Thanks for all you put into you blog and others'.

Lisa said...

Matt, I really enjoy your blog too. And I KNOW you put a lot of time into your posts as well. Thanks for all you do for the Kingdom! You're another great example for me, and I will try & encourage you in any way I can.

Anonymous said...

Blizzard warnings were issued to go to parts of Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin as snow socked the states in tandem with breeze gusts topping 45 miles (72 kilometers) per hour.
The rainstorm -- 10 days anterior to the birth of winter -- took its greatest levy in Minnesota, where as much as two feet (61 centimeters) of snow had fallen in some locations, according to the Country-wide Ill Appointment (NWS).
The constitution's largest burg Minneapolis was subservient to a blanket of off-white 17 inches (43 cm) broad, the worst snowfall to hit the big apple in more than 19 years and the fifth-biggest on record.
As an gauge of the thunder-shower's mercilessness, Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport -- a transit focal point with expertness in contending with foetid seedy -- was shush down for the oldest notwithstanding in years.