Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Run, Scott, Run!

There is a show on PBS for kids called "Between the Lions" that I love. I think it is so funny. Granted, most of the humor is lost on preschool kids. The show has a series of segments that focus on teaching children how to read, or at least about the sounds that make up words. One segment is about Scott, Dot, and Chicken Jane. The segment is usually a variation of the three of them--a brother, sister, & their chicken--on a little trip. Scott & Dot are usually oblivious to some sort of imminent danger (like a bull about to charge), to which Chicken Jane tries to alert them. She squawks & jumps around & tries to get their attention. She resorts to scratching something in the dirt to the tune of "Run!" Sometimes she is writing "Scat," sometimes it is "Scoot." It goes along with whatever the theme sound is for the show. Today's word was "vamoose." So she is writing, Dot is reading it aloud, & she reads, "va- ... moose. Va-moose. Vamoose, Scott, Vamoose." They finally get it, "Oh, we need to vamoose," and so they do. Just in time to avoid the danger, they get out of the way. BUT, Chicken Jane is almost always left behind in the danger. So the theme song, "Look, look, see, see, coming down the lane. Here comes Scott, here comes Dot, here comes Chicken Jane," always shows poor little Chicken Jane with her arm in a sling and her leg in a cast. It is so hilarious.

That's it. You can draw your own analogies from that (I'm sure there are plenty). I just think it's funny. Are you Scott, Dot, or Chicken Jane in your own life?

8 comments:

laura said...

what i want to know is which of your poor boys is Chicken Jane? :)

Lisa said...

Laura, if my boys are Scott, Dot, & Chicken Jane ... then I must be the imminent danger! HA!!

Marie said...

Riley is usually the Chicken Jane...she gets plowed by her brothers. I on the other had am either the imminent danger or the one hitailing it out just in time. The boys like to watch that show. Caleb loves Cliffhanger!

Anonymous said...

ha,, what a hoot!
God bless
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

Paula Harrington said...

I love Between the Lions and I know exactly who Chicken Jane is :)

(I hoped that would come in handy someday :)

Have a great day!

Lisa said...

You guys are all so funny. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa, It's nice to meet you. Is this a new take on Dick and Jane...and their dog Spot? Stay in touch, Colleen

Bob Bliss said...

I am definitely Scott (can't be Dot since that's the wrong gender). I don't notice danger until it's either imminent or too late. I was taking a ladder back to the church building yesterday. I put it in my pickup bed and it extended above the cab. I drove under the overhang at the entrance. I had forgot that I had the ladder. There was probably only an inch clearance so fortunately I didn't do any damage. One of the elders pointed it out. He probably thinks I'm a dufus (or is that doofus?). Of course I am but that's besides the point. Your Mom is Chicken Jane, except that she can't always be around to point out the dangers I face. But I am glad when she is around to point out what I don't always see.