Thursday, October 19, 2006

Happy Birthday, Mom L.!

My mother-in-law is having a special birthday today. I don't know if she'll mind if I tell you what her age is now, though. (It ends with a "0".) Her birthday is not special because of what age she's turning. Her birthday is special because she's a special person. I'd like to share a little of how she has blessed me in the past seven years.

My first special memory of being with Dan's mom is from Dan's graduation. His whole family drove out to Harding. It was fun to be part of the family, even though we had only been engaged for about a week. I enjoyed being part of the easy banter, the childish behavior of "the boys," who were now all grown men, and the way Dan's mom was forever rolling her eyes at them but really laughing inside (I can easily see that being me in twenty years--but that thought makes me cry!). I remember Dan's graduation party a little while later when Dan's mom so thoughtfully included not just me, but my family too. And I met much of Dan's family for the first time that afternoon, thinking this will be a nice family to be a part of!

Another special memory is from Christmas 1999. Dan & I were going to be married in one week!! Mom always goes ALL out for Christmas--there are tons of presents under the tree for everyone. I was not expecting to be included so fully in their family Christmas before I was officially part of the family. I was quite surprised, though! On Christmas Eve, I was invited to go along to get their Christmas tree (I don't remember for sure, but Dan says he wasn't there that year). It's tradition every year to go get the tree on Christmas Eve. I believe this tradition comes from Mom's parents. And now we do it too! On my part, it was under protest for the first year or two, but I now fully embrace this special tradition.

It's incredible that I don't remember Dan not being there, because I can actually remember other specific things about that day. What I was wearing, for example (and, for the record, I don't remember what I wore yesterday). Riding over in Terri's blazer. Having a disgusting potty discussion courtesy of Brian. Playing with my sweet little niece Arden. I remember everyone teasing Dan's mom about having to find the perfect tree (that, incidentally, is not unique to Dan's family--I think every family must tease the Mom about her search for the perfect tree since we did it too). And then I remember that we did not, actually, find the perfect tree but a rather UGLY one! What do you expect when you wait til Christmas Eve to get a tree, right?! Of course, since Dan's mom brings out about a thousand ornaments that you're supposed to cram on the tree, it doesn't entirely matter what the tree looks like bare. On Christmas Day, Mom had quite a few presents for me in the mix, & I felt so special!

Most of the other memories I have that include Mom are spread throughout the past seven years. Mom & Dad always made a point to come down each time we had a new baby. They come down frequently throughout the year so their grandkids don't forget them (they don't seem to care whether or not Dan & I would forget them, though!).

My favorite thing about my mother-in-law, AKA Mom, is that we have a great relationship. I am not really good about calling people on the phone or keeping in touch with them, but Mom is. And she calls pretty often. We used to talk just about every Monday afternoon. And we can talk for hours! I guess we're catching up on the 20 years of my life that we didn't know each other. Plus we have a lot in common--namely the three sons we each have--there are always lots of stories to share!

So, Sandra Lynn Leichner, AKA Sandie, AKA Mom, AKA Oma . . .

Happy 60th Birthday!!


Oops, I let the cat out of the bag. (It's okay, Mom, no one will believe me.)

 
I love this picture from soon after Jeremy & Hannah's births--Mom is so happy! There's nowhere she'd rather be than with her grandkids.


 
Mom & Dad on one of many vacations they take together.



 
Sorry the picture is dark & hard to see everyone. This was our last trip to Gatlinburg with the whole Leichner clan. I know Mom is so proud of her family!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetheart she got a treasure when she got you. Love, Aunt Dawn

Bob Bliss said...

Happy Birthday, Sandie!