Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Survey Says...

Molly's the winner!! And here's what you've won . . .




Congratulations, Molly!! And thank you, to Molly, and all the many others who played my little survey game, especially those that don't particularly like answering survey questions and those that continued to buzz in after the 7th comment. If you were one of the early "surveyees," go back & see what others wrote after you!

Here's a little bonus for Molly, and the rest of you that are interested in useless trivia about candy bars. When I looked up some websites to find a picture of a NutRageous bar (which is Molly's favorite in case you didn't figure out why I posted a picture of it), I also came across a bunch of trivia about the NutRageous bar, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups & peanuts, plus I added a few additional comments. Have fun!

*Reese's NutRageous bar was introduced in January 1994 (that's younger than I am!).
*The NutRageous bar's original name in test markets was "Acclaim," but most consumers disliked this name and said it made them think of the car by the same name. When presented with the name "NutRageous," the test market consumers immediately loved it. (Incidentally, the name "Camry" was also in the mix, but consumers were not interested in a candy bar imported all the way from Japan)
*A NutRageous bar was reportedly eaten in "The Nap" episode of Seinfeld (I can't believe I don't remember what episode that is! I thought I saw all the reruns three times!).
*Spanish explorers discovered peanuts in Peru in the 16th century (before this discovery, a sandwich favorite was cocoa butter & jelly).
*Rumor has it that Taylor and Zachary Hanson are huge fans of NutRageous Bars (as if anyone remembers who the Hansons are).
*Peanuts aren't a nut, they're a legume (oh, that's why they're called, peanuts).
*A third of the world's peanuts come from India (huh, a third of my honors classmates in high school were also from India. No joke! I'm not making fun, they were my favorite classmates).
*Peanut butter was developed in 1890 by a St. Louis physician seeking a nutritious, easily digested, high-protein food for elderly patients (I guess he found it?).
*Mr. Reese was not only involved with candy. He is also known for the Reese automobile, a 3-wheeled, gasoline engined vehicle that was built in Plymouth, PA, in 1899. Only one such vehicle remains intact. Mr. Reese also built Reese and Shawnee bicycles. (have you ever noticed the ridges around a peanut butter cup? That's how the wheels on his vehicles were made as well, perhaps a clue as to why they are not still intact)
*Reese's makes enough peanut butter cups in one year to feed one cup to every person in the US, Japan, Europe, Australia, China, Africa, and India (I'm sorry, India, I ate your peanut butter cups last year).

1 comment:

Pat said...

I thought George Washington Carver invented peanut butter, but when I checked, it turns out pb was invented/discovered even before the DR you mentioned. If anyone wants to check it out, you can find more info at: http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blpeanutbutter.htm