Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Two truck stories

I'm tellin' ya, I would have enjoyed being a preacher, but my dad gave me the wrong chromosome.

Today Derek, Jeremy, Chelsea & I drove over to Dan's school to visit him & his class & show off our cute costumes. I will post more about Halloween & the fun (WARM) days we've been having later. While we were driving on the interstate, two interesting things happened that both involved trucks, & each time I thought, "I think I'll blog on that."

When I'm driving I try to be aware of other drivers. I am largely influenced by my dad & my husband in this respect. I have learned a lot from them when it comes to driving, and I'm grateful for that as I am not a particularly aware person, if you know what I mean (in other words, complete airhead!!). I was passing a few trucks when I noticed a truck coming up pretty quick behind me. I don't drive terribly fast (I promise), but with my roots being in NJ I am usually one of the faster drivers on the road while in Virginia (& that's because everyone else drives slow, not that I drive fast). But I digress . . . So this truck is coming up behind me, which I thought was interesting, but we were on the down slope. I thought about moving over to the right lane to let him get by but we just started on a hill up & I thought that he'd probably slow down quickly as those big trucks usually do. But, sure enough, he didn't slow down. So I found a place to move over into the right lane & let him by. As he passed by I realized why he was going so fast--no trailer on him! So my thought was, "I guess he's enjoying being without all that extra weight & taking advantage of being able to drive faster." My next immediate thought was, "Isn't it great to feel so light? You just move right along!"

How many times does our day drag on because of all the burdensome things we have to do? How often do we feel weighed down by the stresses of our lives, & we even feel we are moving in slow motion? How, then, does it feel to be free of our burdens & move quickly with grace and joy instead? Does your heart literally feel lighter when you've unloaded a burden in prayer? Do you feel grateful that your heavenly Father is willing to take on your sorrows and help you get through them? Do you express your gratitude with joy?

I was feeling pretty light-hearted today and have been for a while. I have reached a point in my relationship with God that I feel confident He will take care of me. I feel confident relinquishing control to Him and letting Him guide me as He sees fit. I'm not perfect--I don't always remember to not worry about something I've already prayed about. But I know the comfort, joy, & grace that comes when I do truly hand a problem over to God.

My second story is just a sweet little story. The boys like to try to get trucks to honk at them as we drive past them. Jeremy was trying this today on our way home from Dan's school, but I really didn't think the truckdrivers would be able to see him, as he was sitting in the middle of the backseat. I was wrong, though! One truck driver in a blue truck saw him & honked back. Not only that, but after we passed him, he pulled over into our lane behind us, & so I waved to thank him for honking for Jeremy. And he waved back! Pretty cool, but that's not all! A few minutes later, we pulled off the interstate at our exit. As we did this, the same truckdriver passed us & honked again! Jeremy was pretty excited, but I don't think he was as excited as I was. I don't know why it tickled me so, but I just like thinking about the connection strangers can have with each other. I don't really know if that truckdriver remembered a few hours later the cute little boy in the red Camry that he honked at, but I remember him & his big blue truck! It made my day. And thanks to blogging, I'll remember him for a long time. :)

Why not seek out a stranger today or tomorrow that you can bless?

2 comments:

laura said...

I'm learning little by little the sensation of feeling lighter because you've unburdened yourself to the Lord. Gary and I were talking about ants the other day... as they were making a new mound in our backyard and we were talking about crazy it is to us how they will carry around this little piece of dirt for so long and how futile it seems to us. and I just think sometimes that must be how we look to God... carrying around this huge load... and for what? When he is waiting to carry it for us! and I so know that feeling you had with the truck driver, if for no other reason than it is so precious to see others love on and bring joy to our children!

Pat said...

I love ALL your blogs, especially the ones about the boys, of course -- too cute and sweet. I can hardly wait to get my arms around them next week!

I'm commenting on this blog even though I read it after the Halloween and streaking Derek ones because I wanted to tell you how much it touches my spirit to see through your comments how spiritually mature you are. I am so grateful that you are saved and spiritually strong and that you share your spiritual lessons with us so I can grow through you.

I love you!